10 kitchen activities for kids
Welcome, I am so happy to share with you our top 10 kitchen activities. In a world where home-cooked meals equal a healthier family, teaching kids to cook is a critical element of parenting. It’s never too late, or too early, to begin the learning curve in the kitchen. Teaching children the basics of cooking is a great way to broaden their knowledge of food, growth, and nutrition in a practical way.
Developing a healthy relationship with what we eat should begin in childhood and can affect our health and wellbeing all throughout our lives. Studies indicate that children who do, are more likely to eat healthier, and when preparing healthy meals for their own families later in life. Most of our generation (millennials) do not know the basics of cooking from scratch or much about ingredients at all. I hope this is motivation and we can get back into the kitchen with our kids!
Spending time in the kitchen will teach your kids to enjoy learning and an abundance of necessary skills to function in this world like; sustainably, patients, present and focus on creating together. Learning, growing, and creating in this way connects food and nutrition to a memory bank and foundation for future generations.
Our favorite activities are:
- Math – Kids just love to help pour and when we pour ingredients in the bowl or take a scoop of some superfood goodies we always count “1, 2, 3” when they get older you can move onto fractions like “1/2 cup > 1/4 cup”
- Sensory – Shred or spiralize some vegetables, listen for timers and to the blender, experiment with smells like cinnamon and roll out dough, cookie/energy balls. Connect with your senses in any way you’re drawn to
- Colors – Experiment with ingredients like; blueberries, beet powder, turmeric and sea algae in different recipes. You can ask questions like “what color is this?”
- Comprehension – Following step-by-step instructions to get to a finished result is an important reading skill, and using that skill to cook shows them that reading has very practical benefits. For older kids get write the recipe in pencil and ask them to trace and decorate it in their favorite colors
- Science – Notice how the bubbles form when you add baking powder to water and how muffins rise when you bake them, that’s a chemical reaction. We also grow our own sprouts (photosynthesis) and regrow vegetables (cloning)
- Self-esteem – It’s so great to see how they each take their task to heart and try hard to do a good job, and how proud they always are of their accomplishments. Set aside some dishes that are safe for them to wash, or put them away together showing them where/what the items are
- Communication – Working together in a team setting effectively teaches teamwork, sharing, listening, boundaries (safety) and self-expression (asking for specific items). Offer two items that will work well in a recipe and ask “maca or mushroom?”
- Life skills – Children welcome the concept of living sustainable, they are ready to absorb and recall all of the above skills and appreciate the responsibility of preparing food. Try fermenting your own foods, some like mother cultures need to be fed daily and discover your own sustainable practices.
- Make cooking fun – Give lots of praise, take pictures, dance, experiment together and forget about the mess, instead focus on the memories and have fun
- Connection to food – Take this new awareness as an opportunity to add love to your food, to feel the sense of accomplishment, grow your own and fuel your journey together
Try out our Pita recipe yourself:
- 1 cup whole grain flour
- 2 tbls cold-pressed oil
- ¼ cup water (boiled)
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
Let the kids play, mix the ingredients and roll out the dough until they are bored, then you can fry it, bake it, stuff it or top it – no matter what way you choose, you will have made it with love and have created some fun educational memories.
As always I am sending you much love & positivity on your Elemental Growth journey.
Are You Ready to Get Healthier & Happier Naturally?
Elemental Growth is a lot like climbing a mountain. It’s SIMPLE, but not EASY. You just need a roadmap, a determined mountain climber (that’s YOU), and a Sherpa, that’s me, your mentor.
If you’re willing to do the work, then I’m going to teach you the proven processes and principles you must implement in your life to get to achieve your goals (and beyond) FAST!⠀
In fact, I promise, if you take the teachings and put in the work, you can and will create a life filled with love, positivity and freedom faster than you actually believed possible.⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’re ready to take the first step, let me know by booking a 10min Clarity Call below so I can get you next steps! You’re going to love it!